[ilds] the occasional angel & the ladder of alcohol

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Wed Apr 30 08:47:57 PDT 2008

Given my sense that we are groping along in a blind fog, trying locate
and glimpse some 'Durrell as he really was,' I will make a few posts in
the cause of recalling the very different ways other poets have
recollected Lawrence Durrell.

Durrell would have said it, and did say it, I think, via Pursewarden:
Durrell is our Yorick, and his books are the teasing skull left for us
to flesh out with with memory and passions and desires and doubts.

I hope that the list enjoys this little anthology of Durrelliana, and I
look forward to reading your responses.

C&c.

***

Fraser, G. S.
Monologue for a Cairo Evening
[excerpted from /Poems of G. S. Fraser/ (1981) -- I have taken this from
the LION database and have tried to clean up the errors]
(To John Waller)

***
Cario was full of characters. I shall
Remember Larry stocky against a bar,
The round face and the tartan scarf, looking
Like a jovial commercial traveller,

Talking like the occasional angel who descends
By the ladder of alcohol to the banal rocks
Of the wars we do not start: and cannot justify
But how the psyche cushions all its shocks,

Benign euphoria above the glasses,
A whiff of whiskey and a melody,
Vanishing up into another country:
O, what rough beast crawls to the Embassy?

Leaving a plot for a story: leaving a shocker
To sell for sixpence at the chemist's stores,
Describing six neuroses at six a penny
Seeking in one labyrinth six minotaurs ...

The flowers that grew out of my brandy-glass
Were all a gully-gully trick. The faces
That looked at me with sideways sliding eyes
The bar's perspective kept within their places.
***

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu