[ilds] wine, writers and work

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 07:31:14 PDT 2008

Welcome, Carrie, and please don't think you've made a mistake!  We're
glad to host any kind of discussion, and while a goodly portion of the
list is made up of academics, there's certainly no monopoly on
discussion topics or interests.

As for Mr. Epfs, he is a topic of conversation too long neglected...  I
have two of his images sitting over my home desk at the moment, and
there are a few more to put up some time, but I'm afraid I don't have
anything original, nor do I have very much.  Still, they seem to be very
much a collaboration with the more famous writer, cut from the same
cloth.  (I have an image of a veiled woman who is perhaps shopping, but
with coloured bars crossing the canvas, but interlaced with the figure,
to me always suggesting that there's another wall between the observer
and observed -- the other image repeats the trick but with a town, which
I imagine to be Cypriot, but I can't say for certain).

Although it's not penned by Mr. Epfs, there's a particularly good essay
at the beginning of /The Paintings of Henry Miller/, which I've always
turned to for guidance on Durrell's visual work.  I believe it's
forthcoming in the Delos Press's /From the Elephant's Back/ as well.

Many thanks for your interesting posting.  Please keep them coming!

Best,
James