[ilds] wine, writers and work

Carrie carrie.t at virgin.net
Tue Apr 29 12:52:49 PDT 2008

I recently joined the ILDS mailing list, and immediately realized I
had made a mistake, not being a scholarly sort myself.  I am drowning
in all that I read, trying to find the Lawrence Durrell I knew for 25
years.  I had, in the first instance, been hoping to know more about
Larry's work of course, but I hadn't realized that the contributions
were to be an exercise in carefully combing through the minutiae of
every word.  This isn't a criticism, rather an observation.  I
wouldn't be up to the standards necessary to engage in your literary
forum, and I guess by now you are all relieved to know that.

However, I would like to say that David Green's contribution is one
ILDS mailing list offering that I feel Larry would have enjoyed.  I
think Larry would say that David Green has hit the nail on its head.
Larry was not Gerry, he did like a simple life, complete with the few
luxuries he enjoyed.  I'm not being hard on Gerry, but he did not
embrace the simple life, anything but.

My connection with Larry is my mother, Shirley, who married Larry's
good friend, and archivist, my stepfather Alan Thomas.  It was through
my mother and Alan that I got to know and spend time with Larry.  It
was an uncomplicated relationship, which set it apart from most of
Larry's relationships, especially with women.  Larry, as DG suggests,
loved women, but I think it's fair to say he was hard on them, with
few exceptions.  Claude was Larry's soul mate, had she not died
prematurely they would almost certainly have stayed together.  Larry
would appreciate DG's apt perception, though he might not entirely
agree.

I also wondered what, if anything, any of you thought of Larry's
artwork.  I refer to his paintings and drawings, which were exhibited
under his pseudonym Oscar Epps.  Larry loved to paint, and I was
concerned when presenting the L Durrell archives to the British
Library that they were surprised to receive Larry's paintings, having
not realized that he was an artist as well as an author.  I felt quite
sad after handing the portfolio over wondering how these paintings
would be treated in terms of access by interested readers/scholars.  I
felt there was a lack of interest to the extent that their disinterest
was apparent.  Quite sad really!

Carrie