[ilds] Genesis of the Quartet

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 28 09:32:14 PDT 2008

No need to wait for the next issue of Deus Loci.  Re from 1 to 4, Michael Haag in Alexandria:  City of Memory (London & Cairo, 2004) gives his proof of how Durrell came to conceive the Quartet (pp. 320ff).  Durrell would later claim that he had initially "planned four books," but "this was untrue," as Haag states and demonstrates (p. 326).  QED.  Claude Vincendon's intervention was both fortuitous and crucial -- and another great story, as Haag tells it, in a book full of great stories.

Bruce