[ilds] One-Volume Alexandria Quartet

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 12:26:37 PDT 2008

James sums it up neatly.  I have the Faber omnibus edition (1962) and have never seen the Dutton version of same.  I'm not a textualist, but I have noted small differences and variants (but no radical changes, so far) in the early editions and the 1962, which I've been told is authoritative.  So, anyone doing scholarship should use that edition and avoid being chastised for sloppiness, unprofessionalism, or worse.

I'm struck by recent comments on the tactile aspects of the Quartet, i.e., how first readings got imprinted, indelibly, onto readers' imaginations and how this turned into unnatural attachments to physical objects, i.e., the book themselves.  I had the same experience.  I wonder if reading Durrell is a perversion of some kind, to which the youth of a prior age were particularly susceptible.  Dr. Anthony Durrell probably has professional observations on this topic.  Charles gave a very good talk on this aspect of reading the Quartet at the conference in Victoria -- the physicality of the Quartet, that is, not its incitement to perversity.  I hope he publishes it somewhere, preferably in the proceedings.  Charles?

Bruce