[ilds] Great Alexandria Quartet for Sale

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 10:57:08 PDT 2008

> We are such stuff as our books are made of!
 > - and our own underlinings give us away

"He suddenly realised that he was surrounded by the dead woman's books.
Underlinings, annotations. She was still here!" (Avignon Quintet 299)

I've been chasing LD through an intended revision he'd wanted to make to
Monsieur that led into Livia, by way of a variant he gave to Robin
Skelton, and I can't help but feel he's already there ahead of me,
knowing what we readers do...  It haunts me while I sketch the article.

Peter, should you be interested, LD's correspondence with Jay Brigham
for the 1980 Collected Poems, along with Jay's collection of all the
variants, tss., proofs, and such are now deposited in Victoria.  It's
not catalogued yet, but I know they're ascertaining its status in
national collections, so a query might be quite well-timed...

http://gateway.uvic.ca/spcoll/sc.html

I sent around my description of the materials a while ago:

https://lists.uvic.ca/pipermail/ilds/Week-of-Mon-20070528/001481.html

Best,