[ilds] One-Volume Alexandria Quartet

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 09:01:49 PDT 2008

Hi Phillip,

I think you can treat the /Dutton/ one volume as quite a find!  Bruce
and Charles appear to be the only ones among us with copies...  I think
it's identical to the Faber omnibus edition, except the front pages are
reversed.  Bruce?  Charles?

As for who to talk to about the changes, Charles did the pioneering work
on that.  Beatrice Skodili has discussed them as well, in her recent
dissertation, though her interests were not bibliographical.

There was some discussion of the matter on the list under the Justine
Reading Group heading (see the archives with the [RG] markings):

https://lists.uvic.ca/pipermail/ilds/

Alas, I'm afraid a bibliographical comparison of the editions in full
does not yet exist in print.  In general, the changes are fairly
significant, but they're spread around throughout the books.  My
favourite to point out, perhaps mainly because I teach /Justine/, is the
ending of the novel, the last sentence, the asterisk, and the moved
objects in the preceding paragraph, etc...

The changes from the proofs through to the first edition, its various
corrections, and then the omnibus are quite fascinating.  My tendency is
to read them as emphasizing the thematic as well as the aesthetic aims
of the book.

Best,
James