[ilds] Silent Plum Wine?

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 08:40:37 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I just stumbled across this passage in Angela David-Gardner's novel
/Plum Wine/, and I thought I'd share it with the group:

-----------
She thought of last night, how little he'd said.  Perhaps it was
characteristic.  Perhaps he became more reserved, when moved.  The
building was steeped in silence.  A line from Lawrence Durrell came to
her mind: "Does not everything depend upon our interpretation of the
silence around us?"

I wonder just how often we all find such things in contemporary reading
materials?  I can think of a few Canadian authors who've overtly cited
Durrell, even two who were up for or got the Governor General's Award.
Is it widespread?  Contagious?

Best to everyone from snowbound Alberta.

Cheers,