[ilds] Truth and the ILDS

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 13:48:21 PDT 2008

Lois,

This is indeed an interesting article, and I'm curious how you'd comment
on this.  For instance, what do you mean in your subject line?

Also, while I must admit I'm not troubled by James Frey, the other
instances here are quite disturbing.  Did Durrell engage in anything
akin to this in scope and manipulative vice in his non-fiction books
(which are admittedly largely fictional)?  I think the comparison may be
a misnomer, but I don't know it's purpose.

Moreover, is there a difference between Misha Levy Defonseca's tall
tales and those of Henry Miller or Anais Nin in their purportedly
autobiographical writings (which we also know are largely faked)?  I
think there's a highly significant difference, but I'm curious how you
interpret this scene.  Also, what Durrell texts (or ILDS incidents??)
are you referring to?  I sense you have something fairly complex to
articulate, and I'd like to invite you to do so -- it might prove very
interesting.

Best,
James