[ilds] Sophie Atkinson

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 21:45:59 PST 2008

Bill,

I had a lovely moment with a theory-oriented colleague who'd assumed
that textual scholars want to find the ur-text, as if we were still
doing some kind of biblical hermeneutics where the first word displaced
the rest.  The look on his face when I said I wanted as many texts as
possible, every single one, was priceless -- it was almost as if he
realized "we'd" always been doing what he'd always been looking for.

Authenticity is a hoax, a fetish, but that doesn't give me any reason to
be lax in looking for each text available to me, with or without an
author (another fetish or just another text?).

That same colleague is a Kundera fan, and in a rather provocative way, I
noted that Kundera sets up a mass grave in which to bury the
counter-revolutionary variants of each of his texts (Kundera's famous
hatred of the archive).  As a reader and scholar, I want each item,
before and after he changed his mind -- the authoritative version is as
much a fetish as is the authentic.  I want all of 'em, and hang the
author if he says I can't have 'em.  I like Durrell because he fed on
that plurality -- he encouraged it.

And what did Durrell think of Kant?  I can guess...

Cheerios,
Jamie