[ilds] One cannot copy to unearth the new

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 21:30:10 PST 2008

Bill,

 > I hope we can talk about this poem. I but
 > darkly understand it. I just fict.

I love that verb...  I'm caught by the "found" poem that finds its own
pathos in the end, as Charles' subject line so nicely shows.

My sense (very tentative at this stage) is that Durrell's playing three
games here: poetic echoes and allusions, poetic cannibalism to create
the new, and the genuinely original.  All three are going to happen, but
when "Totals turn up and insist," it's only the last that counts, though
you'll likely need the first two to get there.  I also suspect that
we're not meant to really trust Totals either...  I think of the death
of every capitalist in his fiction.

I'm stuck too by how we get, as readers, from "Capacities in doubt and
lovers failing" to "However chimerical or choice the few, / Once cannot
copy to unearth the new."  That's quite a span.  I'm almost feeling a
shift from the end of "Blind Homer" (a poem to which I continually
return) to some Keatsian despair over the immature harvest of unripened
grain.

Like "Anniversary," I think the poem shows us just how precociously and
persistently Durrell was aware of his literary precursors, and how
little the financial 'job' mattered in the face of the artistic struggle
to reconstruct a tradition (not that the job didn't matter...  It did,
and it had a craft all its own).  Why is it so unfashionable to talk
about Bloom?

All that said, the poem is still only "darkly understood," and I like
that you only fict.  I must ask though, who's sailing, and where is 'he'
sailing to?  I can't help but look very, very far back in poetry even as
this poem struggles over how to move forward.  However, that might be
because I'm looking forward to watching the skeletons in "Jason and the
Argonauts" this weekend, so some Mediterranean sailing is on my mind.

Without coming up with a genuine interpretation, let me at least say I
greatly enjoyed encountering the word "unreal" in such close proximity
to "I do not cannibalise my fellow-man."  Eliot must have been trying to
toughen himself up as much as possible, so much that they'd need brine
and 2 months of ageing to tenderize him.  Eliot counted on being
distasteful, as he'd say.  And whose head was served on that platter?

I like too that the new is only unearthed and not made -- Ezra never
gets his due in Durrell, and I rather like that.  The artists "makes it
new" by cannibalising and feasting on his fellow-man, until the moment
when spade strikes earth and the long-buried becomes the new, having
been already digested by time and forgetfulness.

Why can't I have more of these poems in my classroom?  Keats, Blake,
Eliot, and Durrell always open up much discussion, and the few times
I've had Durrell, we all had great fun.

But that's the general response.  Maybe tomorrow there will be more
specifically, or maybe I'll just get my editing work done...

Best,
Jamie