[ilds] Sophie Atkinson

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 19:12:18 PST 2008

Bruce, you've slipped it again -- your *pleasure* was obscene (or so it
seemed, though perhaps you know not seems).

I have no comment on your scholarship, and I don't think I'd tie
something as pleasurable as obscenity to it if I decided there was
something to comment on.  Still, if you ever get around to doing an
actual analysis rather than citing things we've already heard, I'm keen
to see it.  You might even say I've asked for it...  It's helpful when
one follows the other.

As for some genuinely pleasurable obscenity, perhaps we should add
Wilde's role in /The Black Book/ to our chat.  I see borrowings from
"Prufrock" all over that book, and evidently Old Tom looked on it
approvingly, though he may have been into the ether that night.  From
what I've seen, Miller was convinced that the Eliot fragments were
tributes to himself.

I'm still chuckling over "Old Fruit"...  In good fun, I'm still allowing
you to pick my moniker, but time's running out.

Cheers,
James

ps: I don't think our exchange is leading into dialogue.  Take a shot at
me (a free one!), and let's call it a night.  I do, however, remain keen
on hearing your response to any of my questions.