[ilds] The Lost Art of Lying

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:49:23 PST 2008

> Also did he ask permission to use some material?
 > "Warner old boy, you wouldn't mind, would you, if
 > I used that scene in my novel?" "Go ahead old
 > fruit, the damn book isn't selling very well."

Bill, why can't we have such nicknames on the list!  Bruce, as a measure
of good will, I'll entrust you with creating mine.

For what it's worth, we do know that Durrell did engage in that kind of
"old boy - old fruit" banter and did ask at least some folks about using
their stuff.  We needn't look any further than /Sebastian/.

As for /Prospero's Cell/, he even wrote up a list of what he needed to
'prune' from other works in order to complete the book, then sent the
list to the Gennadius Library where it has remained ever since.  He
certainly doesn't seem to have been hiding his tracks in any way, either
in the world or in the books...

Best,
Jamie