[ilds] The Lost Art of Lying

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 10:58:21 PST 2008

I will not let Durrell off the hook by an appeal to an "aesthetic tradition."  Nor do I think he was not responsible at the end of his life for his MS of Caesar's Vast Ghost.  The examples I have in mind are not playful "borrowings," they are not allusions, but they are quite clearly gross examples of plagiarism.  This has been discussed before and need not be rehashed.  Compare those known passages in Prospero's Cell, the Quartet, and Caesar's Vast Ghost with their sources in Durrell's contemporaries.  He could have been sued and would have probably lost.  Given the extent of Durrell's "borrowings," I don't think any court would accept a defense based on the free circulation of other writers' prose and ideas.  Deception is relevant when a writer passes off other people's words as his own, without any accreditation or even remotely suggested accreditation, and that was what Durrell was doing on numerous occasions.

Bruce