[ilds] an assassin of polish

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun Feb 3 19:46:42 PST 2008

Let me venture another observation or two about the standard criticisms
of Durrell's style.  I hate that I am not up for citing specific
critics, but then I am up late and want to sleep.

First, most criticism of the style voices disapproval of Durrell's
/lushness /or /exoticism/.  I cry foul when I hear such judgments, not
because Durrell is not lush or exotic, but because the criticism implies
that the writer's imagination should be tamed or disciplined to some
normative sort of prose style, a prose connected point-for-point with a
corrective (politically or otherwise) sense of reality.   Even an
educated and cultured stylist like Burgess seems to be following in this
line of criticism, a most curious thing.  If I could scan it, I would
say that Burgess thinks a good stylist should stay on point, writing
always in his characteristic style.  Again, Durrell's changing style
evidences a more complex view of character and psychology.  If character
and psychology are multiplex and changing, then the styles expressing
them will follow by being multiplex and changing.

I will also admit that in /Justine /and in the /Quartet /Durrell is
often working in haste.  That the magic occurs even if the unevenness
and cobbling show through makes it all the more amazing.

A final point:  Like Byron in /Don Juan/, Durrell equally mistrusts the
prescriptive and proscriptive, I think.  Thus he comes up short because,
mistrusting "messages," he has no interest or inclination to stay "on
message."  That last point may be at the heart of the deepest critical
suspicion of Durrell.  He had loyalty to himself, not a program.  For
Byron and for Durrell--both of whom favor fragmentation, ellipses, a
cosmopolitan range of reference, and a disinterest in neat
endings--style reflects a world-view.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University