[ilds] lost durrelliana

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sat Feb 2 19:02:16 PST 2008

I would be grateful for any news of sightings of the following items,
which are mentioned in a footnote to the University of Iowa Special
Collections Gawsworth Holdings:

>         *(2) /The Oxford Book of Suppressed Verse --/ Lawrence Durrell
>         once intended to publish; this ribald compilation is sadly
>         lost. (3) /Liber Amicorum/ (1935-49) was a manuscript album of
>         verse gathered from 44 friends, including Durrell, de la Mare,
>         James Stephens, and Seumas O'Sullivan. It also is lost.*
>         http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/Bai/eng.htm

The first anthology would have made sense and would be not at all
impossible to believe, given Durrell's friendship with the Ridlers.
Perhaps one or both of these will turn up one day in some grandmother's
attic in Oxford. . . .

Charles

--
Wake Forest University