[ilds] beautiful writing

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sat Feb 2 13:28:18 PST 2008

On 2/2/2008 3:57 PM, Denise Tart & David Green wrote:

> Thanks Charles for keeping the list going during thje bleak northern
> winter. We, for our part are having heat, rain and humidity; wettest
> summer for about twenty years.
You are welcome, David.  I find my mind turning to Durrell so often in
my day, so this is hardly a difficult pleasure.

Hang in there.  My home state of Texas has had something of the same
turn in the climate.

By the way, the responses to the /Times /"50 Greatest Writers" have
shown a healthy voicing of "Hey, Hey: Where is Durrell?"  (I count at
least 6 postings.  My own posting championing Durrell and Powys and
other writers not 'cookie cutter neat' has not appeared as of now.)

And I really like the following post from down-under, which counts as
"Durrellian" by proxy:

>         Wot, no travel writer ? The very descriptive Michael Haag on
>         Matters Egyptian ( The River Nile, Alexandria, etc , with
>         brilliant photographs ) should be on the list.
>
>         Bettina Maskelyne, Brisbane Queensland, Australia
>
>         http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article3130859.ece

If you know Bettina, David, tell her that her mates here in the
(formerly colonial) state of North Carolina voice her a hearty
"Cheers."  ("Maskelyne" is too good to be true, I think.)

Here's to it--

Charles

--
Wake Forest University