[ilds] beautiful writing

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 2 12:57:28 PST 2008

Lawrence Durrell's writing is slightly out of fashion just now, his style too beautiful for contemporary tastes.

Indeed. The age of monosyllabic prol writing is upon us. Much as I like most of Tim Winton's work, it is self consciously 'working class'.

Durrell wrote in an age before the proletarian scholars and the kind of modern writing that eschews classical learning and scholarship and prefers 'plain English' to latinate modes of expression and in which words of one syllable appear very frequently; the impact of journalese is very evident.

Thanks Charles for keeping the list going during thje bleak northern winter. We, for our part are having heat, rain and humidity; wettest summer for about twenty years.

DG

Denise Tart & David Green
16 William Street, Marrickville NSW 2204

+61 2 9564 6165
0412 707 625
dtart at bigpond.net.au