[ilds] Pre-war Corfu stories relieve winter blues

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sat Feb 2 05:10:03 PST 2008

  Dear Listserv:

A dispatch on the Brothers Durrell from one of those "storied"
newspapers from the North.

Thank you, Canada.  You recall us to our better selves.

Charles

***

Toronto Star <http://www.thestar.com/default>
http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/298507
Pre-war Corfu stories relieve winter blues TheStar.com - living -
Pre-war Corfu stories relieve winter blues
February 02, 2008
Brent Ledger

Every year at this time -- this cold, gloomy, Toronto-at-its-worst time
of year -- I think of my Grade 6 teacher, Miss Ritter. She was young,
blond, outgoing and she drove the coolest car imaginable at the time, a
Volkswagen Bug. She let us keep a bunny in the classroom and she invited
the entire class to her home for a Christmas party. (Try to imagine that
happening these days. The liability issues! Every parent would have to
sign in triplicate.)

But of all the things she did for me (aside from driving me to the edge
of a child-sized nervous breakdown, so eager was I to please her), the
greatest was introducing me to Gerald Durrell and /My Family and Other
Animals./

I mention this now because Durrell's memoir of his early years in Corfu
is absolutely, indubitably, the best book to read at This Time of the
Year. The adult Durrell was a great naturalist and zookeeper and his
love of animals shines through every page of this now-classic comedy,
but that's the least of its charms.

Set in Corfu during the late 1930s, it's charming, funny and filled with
wonder. Fleeing rainy England for sunny Corfu, Gerald, his widowed
mother and three siblings find a kind of comic paradise in one magical
home after another. First the Strawberry-Pink Villa, then the
Daffodil-Yellow Villa, "a tall, square Venetian mansion ... (that) stood
on a hill overlooking the sea, surrounded by unkempt olive groves and
silent orchards of lemon and orange trees."

Get the picture? Forget Tuscany and Provence. Durrell's childhood Corfu
is my dream scene.

Durrell went on to write more than 30 other books, mostly about his life
with animals, and all of them were lovable and funny, but none of them
had quite the same charm, perhaps because they lacked /My Family/'s
stellar supporting cast.

While young Gerald spent his time gambolling about the Greek
countryside, poking under rocks for new bugs, slugs and other critters,
his family devoted themselves to their own highly individual passions;
his mother to cooking, teenage Margo to boys, 19-year-old Lesley to
guns, and 23-year-old Larry to writing.

Wildly different, they quickly get on each other's nerves and the clash
of character makes for some great comedy, particularly when Larry enters
the scene. Affectionately portrayed as a self-involved twit, the budding
writer comes across as one of those annoying people who talks more than
he writes, but in this case the joke is on the reader, for Larry did go
on to become a writer and a rather famous one at that.

Lawrence Durrell's writing is slightly out of fashion just now, his
style too beautiful for contemporary tastes. But 20-odd years after his
experience on Corfu he went on to write another account of
Brits-on-the-Mediterranean that to my mind is one the most entrancing
books ever written.

Set mostly in pre-war Alexandria, the four novels of the /Alexandria
Quartet /are not only a sensual depiction of several intense love
affairs, they are also, for their time (the late 1950s), amazingly open
to gay experience. A gay Jewish doctor named Balthazar narrates the
second -- and, in some ways, most entertaining -- book in the quartet
and there are several other minor gay characters, both comic and serious.

Lawrence's work is very different from Gerald's, achingly voluptuous
where /My Family /is light and loving. But both books share openness to
sensual pleasure and sunnier climes that we in parka-bound Toronto can
only envy. Thank you, Miss Ritter.

/Brent Ledger appears every second /

/Saturday. You can reach him at/

/ living at thestar.ca <mailto:living at thestar.ca>./