[ilds] The Times' 50 greatest British writers since 1945

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:13:11 PST 2008

I don't see any stinkers on that list, but surely if Chatwin makes it in
for travel writing, it's a surprise that Durrell didn't...  And I *like*
Chatwin.  Actually, I've taught several of those listed in conjunction
with Durrell, and to good effect -- Durrell and Murdoch was an effective
pairing this year, and last year I tried Durrell and Lessing, which went
over very well with those who actually read both big books.

It was, however, nice to see Jan Morris on the list, a distinguished
participant in the Durrell School of Corfu's second summer seminar this
year, focused on travel writing.

Best,
James