[ilds] Elizabeth David

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 21:59:54 PST 2008

Pamela and Vittorio have already answered this, but I'll second the
comments on Artemis Cooper's biography (and that's a name that should be
familiar to Durrell folks).  It's fine & fun reading (conveniently
remaindered over here).  We also had an excellent paper at the MSA this
Fall on the topic of food & Modernism, which had initially included
discussion of Elizabeth David -- there's much to discuss here, and she's
certainly not a figure to be dismissed from her intellectual & artistic
milieu as simply a "foodie."  I was certainly caught up in the tension
between war rationing and the cookbook craze...  Fascinating things to read.

Norman Douglas is also certainly worth a read (I say that as I'm reading
through _Panic Spring_ at the moment, where his influence is evident),
and Keith Douglas deserves a go as well, especially if you're looking at
Elizabeth David.

But, Pamela is being far to modest about this.  Bev, can you tell us
more about Douglas, David, Manning, Henderson, & Jarmain?  I know you
have things to add there, and modesty is keeping you quiet.

Best,
James