[ilds] 1958: a spectacular year for novels

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Jan 11 07:06:12 PST 2008

More news from the wires.

Best wishes for this New Year.

Charles

***

*Literary Life*
Telegraph.co.uk --
www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/01/11/boll.xml
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 11/01/2008

Mark Sanderson at large in a world of books

Roddy Doyle, Helen Fielding, Caryl Phillips and Benjamin Zephaniah were
all born in 1958. It was a spectacular year for novels, including I Like
it Here by Kingsley Amis, The Darling Buds of May by H. E. Bates, The
Enemy in the Blanket by Anthony Burgess, *Balthazar by Lawrence
Durrell*, Dr No by Ian Fleming, Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene, The
Bell by Iris Murdoch and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe.

Samuel Beckett's Endgame was first performed in English in New York on
28 January and in London on 28 October. Eric Newby published A Short
Walk in the Hindu Kush. The first children were thrilled by Tom's
Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce.

*

--
Wake Forest University