[ilds] Durrell & Holman Hunt

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 13:22:44 PST 2007

yes, Grandmamma has Hunt images on her wall, and it plays a significant
role in her characterization, though perhaps it's not flattering to Hunt...

The relevant passage comes from page 133:

"Grandmamma was impervious to storm and disease alike, securely
entrenched behind the illusory fiction of her God, and the fixed belief
that the plague had been justly sent to afflict a sinning people. She
was squat, immense, and obese. The blue rolls of flesh that were her
hands, glittered with the rings that were embedded in them; she walked,
like a spirit of parasitic evil, about the house, murmuring texts and
maxims. Moreover, she carried in her hands a bundle of printed tracts,
of skeleton editions of the Gospel according to St. Luke, and of
reproductions of Holman Hunt’s  pictures."

Notably, Grandmamma's appearance begins with

"WITH the summer came Grandmamma, and with Grandmamma came the plague;
both calamities, coming as they did, at exactly the same time, became
indissolubly linked together in the boy's mind as a double headed evil;
a two fold catastrophe which was, inescapably, one."

Best,
James