[ilds] EH, LD, madness vs. academia

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:38:30 PST 2007

> You see, I have academic tendencies too, which
 > I've never cured myself of.

A well chosen Durrellian phrase, Bruce.  Scobie would be proud.  Is
there an academic dolly varden to go with it?  Please indulge in a
little descriptive madness, even if it's grammatically correct...

Ah, the academic affliction.  Is it contagious, and does it always have
to be debilitating?  Also, I'm still not sure if I accept the suffering
artist as a viable reading -- do artists derive art from their mad
lives, or do mad lives arise from their art, or are these two variables
that sometimes come together and sometimes do not, but are falsely
construed as causally related rather than as correlates?

Albeit, the modernists seem to employ madness and eccentricities almost
as a membership card, but I don't think I could say the same about
Hardy, Forster, or even Beckett for that matter.

Cheers,