[ilds] EH, LD, madness vs. academia

Alejandro Adams hungerist at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:50:35 PST 2007

Nice point, Bruce.  Here is a passage from Lionel Trilling's diary.  (Stop
me if you've read this before.)

"Saw a letter Hemingway wrote--a crazy letter, written when he was
drunk--self-revealing, arrogant, scared, trivial, absurd: yet felt from
reading it how right such a man is compared to the 'good minds' of my
university life--how he will produce and mean something to the world...how
his life which he could expose without dignity and which is anarchic and
'childish' is a better life than anyone I know could live, and right for his
job. And how far-far-far I am going from being a writer--how less and less I
have the material and the mind and the will."