[ilds] Police, puritans and changing times

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 14 06:59:48 PST 2007

David:

Great writers are capable of saying all kinds of absurd things, so that puts EH and LD in the same boat.  Academics, on the other hand, are sane, rational, grammatically correct, and often boring.  They don't have the madness necessary to write great books.  Your example of Shelby Foote's deliberate solecism, however, is wrong.  His point is that prior to the US Civil War, the term "United States" took a plural verb, i.e., the states were separate entities, but after the war it took a singular, i.e., the nation was a unity -- or so it once was.  I think it's reverted to the plural.  Everyone should go to Egypt.

Bruce