[ilds] cowper powys (miller/durrell)

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Dec 7 20:03:07 PST 2007

On 12/7/2007 10:40 PM, James Gifford wrote:
> So, what is rendered redundant in Joyce and Woolf after this 'group'?  I
> must, to some degree, that I agree with Charles' assessment.  I lived in
> Joyce and Woolf for many years until I read Durrell, Lowry, and Miller.
>   The first two are particularly strong influences in making me want
> something more from Woolf and Joyce -- I still enjoy teaching them, but
> I can't help but feeling that I always want something more from
> _Lighthouse_ or _Portrait_ than they can offer...
I will still read Joyce for Poldy, of course.  Poldy on lost lambkin
little Rudy takes me down every time.

But the Stevie Dedalus side of Gimmicky Joys I have less and less
patience for.  When reading for pleasure, I think that I am through with
guidebooks, skeleton keys, &c.; I am sick of singing: the bays burn deep
and chafe . . . .

C&c.

--
Wake Forest University