[ilds] Durrell and Burgess

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:20:00 PST 2007

Charles,

I've just clambered up from Special Collections, and it's legitimate.
UVic has the reprint of her translation.  There's nothing particularly
special to note apart from the edition she used: some version of the
first, likely Faber, pre-Quartet.  I think the 1966 printing of her
translation is more common, so it's possible that the later translations
by other translators may be off the full Quartet, but not Liana Burgess'!

So, the wives of two major 20th Century novelists were translating
Durrell.  I wonder what we can make of that?

Cheers,
Jamie