[ilds] Durrell and Burgess

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:21:47 PST 2007

Hello all,

To follow up on Charles, and having just taught LD's /Monsieur/ and
/Justine/ in the same course as Burgess' /Clockwork Orange/, I'm tempted
to ask what we can all make of this item and its date of production:

Burgess, Anthony. "Other Kinds of Massiveness." /The Novel Now: A Guide
to Contemporary Fiction/. London: W.W. Norton & Co., 1968. 93-106.
  -- Notes: Durrell is discussed with other authors, including Doris
Lessing, Richard Hughes, Olivia Manning, J.B. Priestley, Edward Upward
and Angus Wilson. The American edition is entitled /The Novel Today/.

Burgess also included Durrell in his _99 Best Modern Novels_.  I don't
know what grade he gave...

Comments?

Cheers,