[ilds] Liana Burgess, 78, Italian Translator of Durrell's Quartet

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:06:18 PST 2007

Hi Charles,

Proof positive -- you can see my iron links in the chain of memory below...

---

I have a citation to Italian translations, but none have her name --
this appears to be erroneous and leads me to suspect there are more than
one Italian translations:

http://www.liberonweb.it/Einaudi/ril_durrell.asp

There is, however, a potential item here:

www.ferraguti.it/download/cataloghi/catalogo%2056.doc

It lists the following item for sale:

Durrell Lawrence, /Justine/, Longanesi & C., Milano, 1959, ril. ed.,
bs., mancante di sovcop., pp. 309. Introduzione di Elémire Zolla. Trad.
di Liana Johnson. Collana "La Ginestra" n° 35 € 15,00

I'm guessing from some other online postings, so it's not very
trustworthy, but it appears to have been reprinted in 1966 as well.

Whoa!  UVic has a copy.  I'll report on it tomorrow -- it's in Special
Collections, and it does indeed list Liana M. Johnson as the author.
It's the 1966 reprint of the 1959 edition.

Best,
Jamie