[ilds] authentic

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon Dec 3 12:05:32 PST 2007

On 12/3/2007 2:35 PM, James Gifford wrote:
> The peculiar thing is that our aesthetic engagement with fiction, and
> the late 20th century favour for metafiction runs contrary to the
> political effects and expectations of accuracy that underpin most
> postcolonial and political approaches.  That both would rise to
> prominence at the same moment seems peculiar, and I think Durrell's
> importance to literary history relies (albeit to a small degree) on the
> problems he creates between these two paradigms.
I would agree with this assessment.  In fact, it reminds me of the way
Michael Levenson teaches his undergrad lecture course on
Twentieth-Century Literature.  Michael starts out with the usual
characters--Conrad, Eliot, Woolf, Joyce &c.--but in the last third of
the course he covers the "contrary" stances on "authenticity" cited by
James--Warhol's /Popism /vs. several post-colonial works--and then
closes down with Arundhati Roy's /God of Small Things.//
/
C&c./
/

--