[ilds] [Fwd: Re: authentic]

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun Dec 2 13:02:11 PST 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [ilds] authentic
Date: 	Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:51:29 -0500
From: 	slighcl <slighcl at wfu.edu>
To: 	Bill Godshalk <godshawl at EMAIL.UC.EDU>
<4750ACF1.8060904 at gmail.com> <1196475150.4750c30e1b626 at squirrel.wfu.edu>
<1196476190.4750c71eadde9 at squirrel.wfu.edu>
<A8.20.06930.B6FA1574 at gwout1> <47521CC8.6050408 at wfu.edu>
<09.4F.27167.C3603574 at gwout2>

On 12/2/2007 2:23 PM, william godshalk wrote:
> definition 4: "Original, first-hand, prototypical; as opposed to
> /copied/."
Definition #4 from the Oxford English Dictionary seems most problematic
in terms of the /Quartet/.

We have been talking about "authenticity" in the aftermath of the
al-Ahram piece, contrasting modernist ironies and postmodernist
plurality against the narrowing gauge of Anis's post colonial reading.

But there are other ways to approach the topic.  I wonder if Durrell's
use of Gnosticism in /Justine /and the /Quartet /also connects to the
problem of authenticity?  After all, "authenticity," "truth," and the
difficulties in approaching those states are the most critical concerns
of Gnostic practice.

C&c.

--
Wake Forest University