[ilds] Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 'Alexandria Quartet'

Charles Sligh slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Nov 30 18:29:50 PST 2007

> http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=10489

> The event will also feature readings by Alexandrian writers Ibrahim Abdel
> Meguid, Harry Tzalas and Edwar El-Kharrat, adding an authentically Egyptian
> vision of Alexandria to Durrell’s presentation of the city.

This news by itself undercuts any (post-Anis?) anxieties about the celebration
endorsing something neo-colonial.  Anyone who has heard El-Kharrat speak will
know that his Alexandria is a strong reaction and counter to Durrell's
Alexandria.  I am certain that he will not have faded in his old feelings.  I
recall him as unafraid to introduce discomfort into the room.

A series of open questions in response to the piece by Anis and the above
description of El-Kharrat:  Why worry about "Authenticity"?  Why is the pursuit
of the "authentic" a valid premise for discussing Durrell?

That question puts the issue in as basic terms as I can.  I do hope some of you
will pick it up.

Charles