[ilds] Alexandria: From Nasser to Lawrence Durrell

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:38:09 PST 2007

Hello Ilyas,

You make a good point.  MacNiven is very direct in this, stating "Larry
was formally transfered in October 1942 to Alexandria, where he lodged
at the Cecil," which was rather rich for his purse, so he moved in with
Williams.  I think he stayed there, more or less (with at least 2
flights to Jerusalem, etc...), until June 1945 when he left for Rhodes.

That's about 33 months, by my count, in a city with a population of (I
think) roughly half to 3/4 of a million.  That's about the size of
Edmonton.  I should think nearly 3 years is enough time to get to know a
city of that size reliably well.  In fact, it's roughly the same amount
of time that I've lived here in Victoria (in total, spread out of
several years), and this is a city I feel I know extremely well.
Personally, I dismiss out of hand suggestions that Durrell simply didn't
know the city very well.

Either way, Durrell would seem to have known Alexandria far better than
Anis suggests -- likewise, her comment on the later publication (likely
in reference to the documentary film "LD's Egypt" being shown tonight in
Alexandria) are limited by the fact that his actual narrative of his
return was never published.  She must be referring to his interview with
Peter Adams.  The narrative is much like his "Oil for the Saint," and
the ts. is in Paris while a single page (variant) of it is here in
Victoria via the Jay Brigham papers.

I have to agree that the (as you put it) "he was foreign and he was a
racist" approach can be hard to move beyond, just like approaching
Conrad after Achebe's "Conrad was a bloody racist" comments.  Still, I
think that much like Conrad, there's more going on, and if we stop our
discussion at the instances of racism or foreign exoticism, we risk
losing the many other things that work in tandem or sometimes even
against such readings.

Pamela Francis may have more information at her fingertips on this
topic, with her research on the Cairo Poets, but then again, her
fingertips may be busy celebrating with a glass of wine by now...  Pamela?

I've written to Anis, so we'll see.  I do hope some dialogue can begin,
because this is an exciting approach.  There are intimations of it in
the proceedings of the 1996 conference, but those are hard to come by.
Hopefully that can be remedied soon.

My best,
James