[ilds] It is semantic

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 30 12:18:51 PDT 2007

No. You're quibbling about semantics and turning a discussion about critical ideas into a classroom exercise on minutia.   That is pedantic and obfuscatory.  The meaning of the statement "art creates its own world" is quite clear.  Everyday and poetic language often reifies ("All art constantly aspires towards the condition of music," says Pater, and we understand what he means, although "art" is not person and can't "aspire" to anything).  People do not speak in the symbolic code of logicians.  And to say "even artists do not create their own worlds" is really quite beyond me.  I think you must be joking.  Now, I'm sure of it.

BR