[ilds] Throwing Dust

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 29 15:38:29 PDT 2007

I take Durrell to be "throwing dust" in Alexandria and planting trees in Trafalgar Square.  And I'm glad he did.  Seems to me there's something more insidious in this criticism of not being faithful to the "real world."  That is, the expectation that art has to be scrupulously faithful to some social reality and those who aren't are branded racists, as Achebe charges Conrad in Heart of Darkness.  Art creates its own world.

BR