[ilds] International citizens

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 27 15:58:39 PDT 2007

Great Biog Marc!

You sound a most interesting person and now I understand your Australian connections. If ever you are in Sydney again, please visit me. I live near to the airport. In fact that huge new plane - the one that seats 800 people - roared over the house yesterday and, mon dieu, did it roar over the house; quelle maleur!

I have been at pains to point out that the swill type drinking has pretty much died out in Aus, although australians remain fairly enthusiastic about the foaming beverage and the vin de table. the worst swill drinking I have ever seen was in England. I lived there from 1997 - 1999 and have come to regard the Brits in general as the biggest drunks in the world, although my brother tells me the Russians are pretty bad.

perhaps being an international citizen, as you clearly are, is an advantage in appreciating Durrell. I must say, having been to France, Greece and Italy, I can see what LD was on about, especially in the Island books. His word pictures take me right there.

As for the French, well what can one say about a nation that does not appear to mind if its citizen have a beer or a wine at 7 a.m. on the way to work, has 700 different cheeses, a rugby loving president who has holidays in North America and trains that go faster than cars! vive la France en avant l'escargot!!!!!!!!!!

l'homme des caverns pour president!!

Denise Tart & David Green
16 William Street, Marrickville NSW 2204

+61 2 9564 6165
0412 707 625
dtart at bigpond.net.au