[ilds] On Flops

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 26 13:25:34 PDT 2007

I guess Rexroth was in the vanguard of po-co.  In terms of Durrell's writing in Stiff and Esprit, I think Kenneth was right on target.  The stories are bad, not because of their subject matter, but because they're just badly constructed.  Out of the twenty-nine stories in Antrobus Complete (Faber, 1985), I find five humorous.  The rest are forced and contrived.  In short, they're flops, bad jokes.

BR