[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 7, Issue 11

Smithchamberlin at aol.com Smithchamberlin at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 12:05:38 PDT 2007

What porn movie?!
    Brewster

In a message dated 10/25/2007 3:01:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

Message:  1
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 05:33:28 +1000
From: "Denise Tart & David  Green" <dtart at bigpond.net.au>
Subject: [ilds] Potboilers
To:  "Durrel" <ilds at lists.uvic.ca>

In 1957 or ,58 Baltazar sold 7,000 copies in a  month; a better potboiler
n'est pas than Espirit de Corps and we would all say  a better book - but then
Durrell was gold at this time.

regarding the  ownership of authors, I would say that actors fit into this
theme as well. We  clap approvingly when Kate Blanchette does a worthy film
about 'the big  issues' but cringe when she turns up in a c- grade porn movie and
we are not  convinced when she says "Oh well, I was curious about this genre
and..mmm It  was easy work for the money".

When I was freelancing, I would labour  over features and articles for
quality magazines only to be paid a pittance  and then get $1000.00 for a half made
up tacky story for a low brow bits and  bum mag like People or Aussie Post,
now defunct. Same author, different  paycheck.

DG