[ilds] Potboilers

Vittorio Celentano vcel at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 24 15:46:52 PDT 2007

Do you meal Cate Blanchett?

Vittorio
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Denise Tart & David Green
  To: Durrel
  Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:33 PM
  Subject: [ilds] Potboilers

  In 1957 or ,58 Baltazar sold 7,000 copies in a month; a better potboiler n'est pas than Espirit de Corps and we would all say a better book - but then Durrell was gold at this time.

  regarding the ownership of authors, I would say that actors fit into this theme as well. We clap approvingly when Kate Blanchette does a worthy film about 'the big issues' but cringe when she turns up in a c- grade porn movie and we are not convinced when she says "Oh well, I was curious about this genre and..mmm It was easy work for the money".

  When I was freelancing, I would labour over features and articles for quality magazines only to be paid a pittance and then get $1000.00 for a half made up tacky story for a low brow bits and bum mag like People or Aussie Post, now defunct. Same author, different paycheck.

  DG

  Denise Tart & David Green
  16 William Street, Marrickville NSW 2204

  +61 2 9564 6165
  0412 707 625
  dtart at bigpond.net.au