[ilds] Taking the Mickey

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 10:40:48 PDT 2007

David:

A fair assessment.  But there are potboilers (which can be very interesting) and then there are potboilers (which are absolutely horrible).  The Antrobus series falls into the latter category, in my opinion.  Nothing quite as bad as a joke which doesn't work and falls flat on its face -- that's Antrobus, by and large.  If Durrell made a mint off them, fine, I'm glad he did, and don't hold any of that against him.  A more interesting question is why he didn't succeed at those stories.  The subject matter is great, and Durrell's sense of humor is superb.  So why don't they come off?  Answering that question might say something about his habits and abilities.

Bruce