[ilds] Taking the Mickey

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 24 03:56:42 PDT 2007

There appears to be consensus that, even if the Antrobus stories are not
funny to all, they are certainly not LD's best work. There is a writer in
the movie Reuben Reuben who, when told of an earnest writer who had 'sold
out', said "personally I can't wait to sell out".

When Espirit de Corps came out it sold 6,000 copies in a month.

Apparently some of his FO (the fuck off office as I have oft heard it
described) friends felt it well below his level of ability. Miller hated
them and another American, R. W. Flint wrote "passably funny but also
embarrassing, an obvious potboiler by a first rate novelist is
embarrassing".

Why do people think they own writers?

"Oh I used to like him, but he has gone off you know"

Durrell was a first rate novelist, but he also wrote potboilers. c'est la
vie - I can deal with it

Quelle Maleur!

Now where is that blasted old paperback???????????????

David

Denise Tart & David Green
16 William Street, Marrickville NSW 2204

+61 2 9564 6165
0412 707 625
dtart at bigpond.net.au