[ilds] Esprit de Corps

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:16:07 PDT 2007

Yes, David, but *which* cheap paperback?  {wink}  Would we be inclined
to read this different if we first saw it in the pages of _Playboy_?  I
don't recall if some Antrobus stories had their first appearance there
or if they were just syndicated...  Regardless, I'm sure Durrell was
delighted to be published there -- it paid the best!

I must agree with Marc that I've just never found Antrobus particularly
funny, though I see why it's meant to be, and I find Durrell very funny
elsewhere.  It's rather odd, and I think Marc has his finger on the
problem, but I'll look forward to your comments.  Let me know if you
find yourself confronting that grimly delivered humour or if there's a
twinge of self-ridicule in the ridiculous antics put onto other groups
as well.

But, I suppose this means I now need to dig up a library copy since all
of mine are back in Edmonton!

Best,
James

ps: I've been glancing at the book on Durrell's humour a few times
during this exchange today.