[ilds] Esprit de Corps

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:36:33 PDT 2007

An intriguing reference Charles!!

I never thought of it (though I ought to have in August when I was
talking about the politics of Durrell's works), but the deliberately
humorous accounts of Antrobus reveal a deeply felt ambiguity over
diplomacy, just as Woolcott expresses...  I wonder if it's viable to
retrace the cutting political edge of the first Antrobus series focusing
on the Balkans in particular?

I suspect Durrell experienced or struggled with similar feelings to
those articulated by Woolcott -- if it were not for the genuine sense of
horror with which he discusses politics in Belgrade, we might mistake
Antrobus for a ridiculous sketch, but perhaps there's something dark and
horrible in there as well.  Humm...

Best,
Jamie