[ilds] Pombal

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Mon Oct 22 16:03:48 PDT 2007

Didn't Pombal -- the historical one that is -- spend some time in
London?  I vaguely remember that there is a plaque on his London
residence, and at one time I wondered if Durrell may have seen that plaque.

On the other hand, I may be making this up -- lying here on the
bleach in Hawaii -- the Big Island. Ah, paradise enow.

Bill

At 05:31 PM 10/22/2007, you wrote:
>I just read E. Waugh's Labels, which mentions a visit to Lisbon; Waugh
>remarks on the numbers of really "black" Portuguese, and claims it is due to
>a certain Pombal, who apparently installed a "stud" of AFricans in Lisbon to
>help repopulate the nation after an earthquake. Is this news to anyone, and
>did this event (real or imagined) inspire LD to use the name Pombal? Given
>LD's Pombal's penchant for "love" I wonder if there is a connection...

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *
513-281-5927