[ilds] Locating a Lawrence Durrell Quotation

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue Oct 2 12:53:33 PDT 2007

        On 10/2/2007 2:29 PM, richardpin at eircom.net wrote:
>         I suspect that this quotation is not directly from LD

I agree with your skepticism, Richard.  I really wonder about the
provenance.  Where for example, did Selina Lai originally discover this
statement?  I note here that the attributed quote makes appearances on a
number of blogs, mySpace pages, &c.  Does anyone have a notion of
possible point of origin from which the quote was likely copied and
pasted?  Is it authentic Durrell?  Or a "ghost"?

Again, I will be happy to learn the truth, whatever the case.  But I
would ask, What really is worth recalling about this statement /as a
statement made by Lawrence Durrell/?  Or, phrased differently: What
makes this utterance sound Durrellian, if it does?

Another thought: Perhaps within its original context the sentence
carried more resonance.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University