[ilds] Press and images

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Wed Sep 19 15:35:51 PDT 2007

Charlie notes John Press's comments:

Press, pp. 178-179, touches briefly on our poem. First Press comments
on Eliot's use of imagery "to evoke the desired mood in their
readers. A comparatively simple example of the way a poet flicks from
one image to another occurs in Lawrence Durrell's 'Journal in Paris.'
. . . We are clearly not meant to dwell on any one of these feverish
images, whose purpose is to convey the insecurity and anxiety of the
diarist. This rapid switching from one jagged image to the next is in
marked contrast to the technique employed by Dylan Thomas . . . ."

If we are "clearly not meant to dwell on any one of these feverish
images," we have really gone wrong here. But I see Press covering for
himself. He's really saying, "I can't put these images together into
a meaningful narrative, therefore I'm clearly not supposed to." As an
academic I've seen this flimflam over and over again.

It seems to me that any  poem is a puzzle. Well maybe not "cold beer
/ sold here," the great American poem. But from Homer to the present,
poems have needed to be interpreted, puzzled out. And some times it
takes a very long time to figure out what a poem means.

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *