[ilds] John Press on Durrell's poem

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 19 12:14:22 PDT 2007

Bill, no argument here.  It takes a long time to make sense of some poems, and Durrell's are often a hard nut to crack.  "Puzzled out" is a good way to put it.  I think LD writes in a personal code, which is not readily accessible, so anyone not familiar with his life and work will run into problems, perhaps as J. Press did.  I would not expect "puzzled out" to yield clarity, however.

Bruce