[ilds] writing brings release

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 19:26:18 PDT 2007

Without the monster, how would one write?  Without the pit, why would one?

I agree quite strongly with Bruce's reading of LD's poetry, although I
think he took very great care with those things he chose not to control
-- I see allusion, rhythm, and image all (typically) working in a
careful balance, though I doubt he'd care if the poem ends somewhere
other than where it starts, which might leave Donne quite undone.

And besides, Donne is effective when you figure something out -- I think
Durrell's most effective when we don't...  How exciting would it be if
we had certainty over exactly what the pit is?  As it stands, I'll more
than likely stick my own 'pit' in the place of the one Durrell leaves
ambiguous.

The allusions, however, tease one into action...

Best,
James