[ilds] Monster

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 17:36:32 PDT 2007

Bill, I tend not to read Durrell's poems, on the whole, as an argument, in the same way that, say, Donne's poetry is -- with scene, speaker, and addressee, all following a certain logic.  I don't know how well Durrell was in control of his imagery and development or, indeed, how interested he was in trying to control it.  So, I don't know how worthwhile it is to say a = b = c, therefore, we end up with d.  I'd be quite happy to read the "monster in the booth" as some skeleton in Mr. Durrell's own private closet, one which he chose not to define.

Bruce